1. Introduce yourself: your name and where you’re from.
Carly Cushnie, born and raised in London and now living in New York.
2. Where do you live in New York?
In Bedstuy, Brooklyn.
3. How did your career in fashion begin?
While studying fashion design at Parsons in New York, I began my career interning at Donna Karan, Proenza Schouler, and Oscar de la Renta. I learned so much from my incredible experiences and started my label the year after graduating.
4. You sadly had to close your brand Cushnie this year, after twelve years in business. What do you hope your brand will be remembered for?
It’s been a difficult year for everyone and sadly my business just couldn't withstand the effects of Covid. For certain areas of the fashion industry, the impact of the pandemic will be felt long after 2020. Between the canceled orders and everyone staying home with no need to dress up, I knew my business would not be able to recover but I'm so grateful for the twelve-year journey that I had. I've dressed some incredible people, from Rihanna to Gwyneth Paltrow to Beyonce and Michelle Obama. Most importantly, I grew a loyal following of amazing customers who will hopefully always cherish the pieces I created for them. Even though this is where the journey for the Cushnie collection ends, I hope my collection, aesthetic and story continue to inspire.
5. Who is your top fashion icon?
6. What is your daily uniform?
Black turtleneck and high waisted jeans.
7. If you could dress anyone in the world, past or present, who would it be?
Princess Diana. Watching The Crown reminds you of how magnetic she was.
8. What is your number one tip for working moms?
You are doing it all, even if it feels like you’re not.
9. What book are you reading at the moment?
The Vanishing Half, by Brit Bennet.
10. What are you dreaming of most, post-pandemic?
An epic dance party.
11. How do you keep fit?
Pre-pandemic I loved going to SLT classes, but since being at home I’ve enjoyed doing Melissa Wood Health workouts online as well as using my Peloton bike.
12. What is your favorite place in the world?
There are so many places I love and so many places that I need to visit still. But through my husband, I’ve seen so many different parts of Mexico and been able to see so many different sides, that every time we go back there’s more to discover. The culture, the cuisine, the colors, they all run so deep.
13. Tell us something not many people know about you.
A lady never reveals all her secrets ;)
14. What’s next for you?
I'm working on a few projects that I can’t discuss just yet, but as this year comes to a close I'm taking some time to rest and spend as much time as I can with my family and two young daughters. I'm looking forward to embarking on a new chapter in the new year and creating something brand new, stay tuned.